The SYNTHESYS Office is pleased to announce the second call for applications of the SYNTHESYS3 project under the current European Commission’s FPVII European-funded Integrating Activities funding scheme.
SYNTHESYS Access funding is available to provide scientists (Users) based in European Member, Associate and Candidate States to undertake short visits to utilise the infrastructure (comprising the collections, staff expertise and analytical facilities) at one of the 16 partner institutions (see full list below) for the purposes of their research. This is the second of four annual calls for applications during the project’s four-year duration.
Access Call 2 will officially open for applications on 1st August 2014. The Call 2 deadline will be 17:00 (UK time) Thursday 16th October, 2014 and awarded visits must take place within 2015 (calendar year).
Taxonomic Access Facilities (TAFs)
The 16 partner institutions are organised into 11 national TAFs. TAF Users will be hosted by a TAF staff member (Host; see list below).
The 11 TAFs represent an unparalleled resource for taxonomic research offering:
- Collections amounting to over 324 million natural history specimens, including 3.3 million type specimens
- Internationally renowned taxonomic and systematic skill base
- Facilities including: molecular and imaging & chemical analysis,
Proposals for funding are welcomed from high-calibre scientists in any technical discipline seeking access for short-term research visits (average duration 15 days). SYNTHESYS is able to meet the Users’ costs for:
- Research costs (bench fees and laboratory consumables)
- International travel & local accommodation while based at the TAF
- A per diem contribution towards living costs
The SYNTHESYS TAFs are inviting Access applications from scientists based in the Member States of the EU:
- Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark (including Greenland), Estonia, Finland, France (including Guadeloupe, Martinique, Guyane, La Réunion), Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, United Kingdom.
Plus the Associated Countries of the EU:
- Albania, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Faroe Islands, FYR Macedonia, Iceland, Israel, Liechtenstein, Montenegro, Norway, Republic of Moldova Republic of Serbia, Switzerland and Turkey.
AT-TAF Naturhistorisches Museum, Wien;
BE-TAF Royal Belgian Institute of Natural Sciences; Royal Museum of Central Africa;
CZ-TAF Národní Muzeum, Praha;
DE-TAF Museum für Naturkunde; Botanischer Garten und Botanisches Museum;
ES-TAF Museo Nacional de Ciencias Naturales & Real Jardín Botánico Naturales (CSIC);
DK-TAF The Natural History Museum of Denmark;
FR-TAF Museum National d’Histoire Naturelle;
GB-TAF Natural History Museum, London; Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew; Royal Botanic Garden, Edinburgh;
HU-TAF Hungarian Natural History Museum;
NL-TAF Naturalis Biodiversity Center;
SE-TAF Naturhistoriska Riksmuseet.